Changing blogging domain and site

Image
Dear blogger friends, Lately, I had a few problems with the Blogger web site for my blog The Content Reader . I took this as a sign that I should finally create a web site of my own. I have been checking out other options, but could not get my act together. Finally, I have managed to create a basic web site with Wix, which I hope will be developed over time.  It has not been easy to find my way around. One thing one can say about Blogger is that it is easy to work with.  This site will no longer be updated Follow me to my new domain @  thecontentreader.com Hope to see you there.  Lisbeth @ The Content Reader

Men Without Women by Haruki Murakami

This is my first book by the highly appreciated Haruki Murakami. It contains short stories of men and their relationship with women. Although I had a slight problem with the first story, or the way it was written (might have been the translation), it improved with each of the stories.

The stories are about different men from different parts of the society and their often troubled relationship with their women. Together, they show the different ways of love. One of my favourite was the one about a man who did not want to get married, and had a lot of different affairs. It was always him that ended the affairs. Then, one day, the thing happened, that I always think happens to most of us, he fell in love with his mistress. All of a sudden the situation was the reverse. He was the eager one and she withdrew. It lead to a total downfall for the man and ended in disaster.

This is just one of the extremes of the stories Murakami tells us. They are all told in a calm, matter of fact way, and it is almost like you see a movie, rather than read a text. The stories are very visible. Although it takes place in the Japanese society, I think the stories are universal. Love is a very complicating thing, no matter what happens.

I loved the book and am looking forward reading more by Murakami.

Comments

  1. I'm planning on having more Murakami in my life in prep for our holiday to Japan next year. I haven't read any of his short stories yet, this sounds good.
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really good. It is also perfect with short stories because you can read them whenever, and one at a time. I can also recommend the following books taking place in Japan. "Memoirs of a Geisha" by Arthur Golden, "Tokyo Fiancée" by Amelie Norton, "The House Keeper and the Professor" by Yoko Ogawa. Really loved the last one.
      Japan is fantastic. Have a very nice time.

      Delete
  2. He's one of my all-time favorite authors. I think he's amazing. I haven't read this one yet, though. Glad you loved it! I suggest 1Q84 - I love that book.
    Rebecca @ The Portsmouth Review
    Follow me on Bloglovin'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, will remember that. Definitely want to read more.

      Delete
  3. I like how you said the stories are told in a very calm way; that's so true of how I perceive Murakami as well. He can be telling of the most bizarre thing, and it seems as ordinary from him as every day life. Maybe it's every day life which can be bizarre.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you are right. Every day life can be bizarre. It is very nice to find an author who so well can put it down in words. I am looking forward reading more by him.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Subtle Art Of Not Giving A F*ck by Mark Manson

Searching for Caleb by Anne Tyler

How To Read Novels Like A Professor by Thomas C. Foster